The 90/10 rule in defining your self worth

Self worth.jpg

It’s that back to school time of year, where many of us have set ourselves new goals to be the best versions of ourselves, and for some these goals will be going well and for others not so much!

What matters though is less about the specifics of the goals themselves, but more about how we evaluate ourselves and our progress in our own lives. We are conditioned to see ourselves through the eyes of others, or what we think they think of us, or how we think others are. When in reality we should be steering our own course, deciding ourselves how much we like ourselves, what kind of life we want ourselves to have…..

So I really enjoyed this article by Thrive Global. We’ve all heard of the 80/20 rule in terms of productivity and perfectionism, but the 90/10 rule speaks to where you get your self-evaluations from. The suggestion is that 90% of the time we should evaluate ourselves based solely on our personal parameters, and not in relation to anyone else, and the other 10% of the time we may take notice of others’ view of us.

This approach makes a lot of sense to me. Not only does it drive Emotional Independence, a cornerstone of healthy wellbeing and Leadership capacity, but it also allows each person to take personal responsibility for their own behaviour, while driving a sense of compassion for others.

So have a read and let me know what you think in the comments below.