Once you are sure that you have the best people in the right jobs in your organisation, it is critical to make sure that you are getting the most from them; that they are happy and productive members of staff. We can support you in optimising your organisation structures and systems to allow your staff to flourish and your bottom line metrics to soar.
At McGrath & Assoc. we find it helpful to visualise each employee as being active on each stage of the Talent Management Life Cycle – see image below.
We are vastly experienced in tailoring structures and systems for our clients which seek to link each stage of this life cycle, which provide objective and useful data, and which aim to harness the performance of both the individual and the organisation alike.
- Talent Acquisition/Recruitment
At McGrath & Assoc. we provide a comprehensive suite of services in this area. Full details can be found here. Talent Acquisition/Recruitment
- Employee Assessment and Selection
At McGrath & Assoc. we provide a comprehensive suite of services in this area. Full details can be found under here. Psychometric and Testing Services
3. On boarding
At McGrath & Assoc. we understand that our commitment to you does not end when we have helped you in selecting the right candidate/s for the role. We understand the huge value inherent in the data obtained during the recruitment and testing elements of your processes, and we make concrete use of this information, as we work with you, and your new employee to facilitate their transition into your organisation.
Building on the feedback sessions after the recruitment and testing processes, we work with your new employee and your designated internal contact, typically a Line Manager or member of HR, to plan the introduction of your new employee to the organisation. Typically within this plan we would include:
- Details of who the incumbent should meet, when, why
- Facilitation of a Buddy/Coach/Mentoring system or similar where appropriate
- A scoped out training plan vis a vis the requirements of the role and their performance in the selection process
- A detailed orientation plan as to the organisation’s systems such as performance management, holiday leave policy, grievance policy etc
- Details of standards to be met in order for probation to be signed off
- A forecasted learning and development plan for the coming year
- Any other business relevant to the individual case/s
Our service aims to empower the individual/s to hit the ground running insofar as is possible. We are available to keep in touch with both client and candidate to optimise the on boarding process, typically weaning off contact within a maximum of six months. In the unlikely event of a situation arising where the candidate needs further contact or support, this would absolutely be possible and could be arranged.
- Performance Management
Many organisations believe that they have an effective performance management system in place, but oftentimes the employee feels that they just need to fill out a form and listen out for what their salary increase may be!
An effective performance management system can however be an extremely engaging and motivating process, which supports your staff to deliver on the company’s strategic plan in a targeted and focused way.
We can help you to align your performance management process in a meaningful way with your wider business goals, and we will work with you in tailoring a beneficial system which will allow you to articulate the specific goals each employee should be working with, as well as the associated (realistic!) measurements of success. In this way you can be assured that you are getting the most from your people, and that you are supporting their learning and career development through the harnessing of real time, objective data.
Typical steps may include:
- Partnering with you to understand what systems are currently in use, precedence in this area, and what type of system you now need
- Gaining an understanding of the language used in your organisation so that the new system dovetails effortlessly with existing systems
- Crafting a suite of forms and associated manual/documentation
- Rolling out tiered training to individuals and managers, relevant to their role in the programme
- Providing ad hoc support as the system goes live
- Development Centres & Training and Development
Within the Talent Management life cycle, Development Centres and Training and Development encompass a pivotal role. Research shows that employees will feel more engaged with their organisation if they feel that they have a clear career path, and if they feel that their organisation is investing in them.
But who to train?
And what to train them on?
Run in much the same way as Assessment Centres are run for selection, we design Development Centres which help to identify who the people are in the organisation that have the potential to develop to the next level. This development can be with a specific role in mind, or with a view to investing in the development of the individual/s. Testing is carried out at a level higher than the incumbent’s current role, to enquire as to their “headspace” for future development.
Development centres can be tailored to each context but would typically include a mix of psychometric tests and work based testing and interviews. They can last anywhere from one half day through to two full days or more. A list of potential instruments and exercises are listed below.
- Personality questionnaire
- Motivation questionnaire
- Cognitive ability tests – verbal, numerical, abstract
- Emotional Intelligence questionnaire
- Work sample exercises
- In tray exercises
- Management exercises
- Commercial exercises
- Behavioural interview
- Competency based interview
The Development Centres will provide you with concrete data, relevant to your organisation, as to where the individual is relative to the potential role you may have for them, or wish to develop them for.
Of course, of use here too is the Performance Management data that you will also have gathered on your individuals and your teams.
With these data in mind, you can then accurately pinpoint what the training and development gaps are for each individual and each team, and we can work with you in tailoring appropriate training and development steps for your Staff.
Typically this would include
- Classroom type training, with follow on practical support to promote the transference of learning
- Rotation assignments within different functions of the organisations
- Coaching – at an individual and team level. Coaching
Whatever the approach or mix of approaches taken, McGrath & Assoc. are rigorous in ensuring that the learning transfers to the workplace in a concrete and practical manner, thereby boosting performance and bottom line metrics, and improving employee morale and engagement.
6. Succession Planning, High Performers and High Potentials
At McGrath & Assoc. we know the importance of having a pipeline of potential Leaders for your organisation. While it can be useful to at times hire in experts from outside your organisation to fill senior positions, Talent Acquisition/Recruitment it is also hugely beneficial to specifically develop your own internal Leadership pipeline.
On engagements of this nature we would typically work with you in developing a Readiness Chart – or graphical depiction of your organisation, who is in it, and where the anticipated leadership opportunities will be. While this can be a somewhat fluid document, depending on the size of your organisation, it will give us an outline of the types of Leaders you will need, when and where. This will form the essence of our Succession Plan.
Armed with this information, we can explore the performance data, and oftentimes schedule a Development Centre, which will allow us to differentiate between the High Performers– those doing well at their current level, and the High Potentials – those with the headroom to develop to the next level. Development Centres
Once we know who we are dealing with – High Performer or High Potential, we can then tailor a Leadership development programme for them. Typically these two groups of people will be managed quite differently, and tailored communications plans will need to be developed around this. In short though
- High Performers will be encouraged to stay within the organisation and provided with continuously challenging assignments, at their current level, with the understanding that there will unlikely be any upward promotions
- High Potentials will be earmarked for potential Leadership roles, will be actively challenged in areas outside their comfort zone, and typically will be rotated around the organisation to give them a comprehensive understanding of how it works, thereby facilitating their continuous development.
McGrath & Assoc. have years of experience in designing these programmes and in supporting multiple types of clients in the successful roll out of these critically important initiatives.