All organisations are made up of the interaction of the employees within them, and it can be useful to take a more macro view at times. Organisational Development has at its heart the drive to make a planned and sustained effort to improve organisational health and effectiveness, through the introduction of bespoke, targeted interventions.
At McGrath & Assoc. we have worked with all types of organisations, employing a range of tailored interventions, to bring about positive change within the organisation in real time.
Our services in this domain include:
Many organisations roll out annual staff surveys which in fact can do more harm than good! Routine form-filling with little follow-through runs the risk of de-motivating the very people we rely on to run our business. It is imperative to effectively quantify what it is you are trying to measure in advance, and to engage your staff at all levels of the process; before, during and after the survey.
In engagements of this nature a few key steps are usually involved:
- We will work with you in effectively designing the messages to be communicated about your survey, harnessing systems and protocols already in use
- We will work with you in drafting tailored survey questions which seek to understand the areas of interest for you, using your own organisation specific language
- We will provide both online and paper based survey options, which guarantee anonymity and confidentiality
- We will work with you to maximise response rates and monitor these while the survey is open
- On completion we will furnish you with simple and actionable reports
- We will support you in addressing your organisational priorities as outlined in your survey results
- Employee Satisfaction and Well- Being
We all know that happy employees are more likely to be productive employees – but how do we make them happy? At McGrath & Assoc. we believe in treating adults like adults and we work hard to encourage Staff to be involved in solving the problems in their organisations, and taking joint responsibility for positive change.
When working on projects of this nature, key features may include some or all of the following:
- A data led understanding to the issue/s at play – which can often come about from a staff survey
- Structuring systems and processes which include and involve input from employees at all levels
- The establishment of focus groups and/or functional committees to deliver on the agreed priorities for change
- Planned projects, with real results expected in real time
- Change Management
We own the rights to the Joint Agenda Building (JAB) Process – a proven approach used successfully in major companies in Europe and the USA. It is rooted in the original Organisational Development movement and has been highly successful in engaging staff, at all levels, in renewing and transforming organisations on both sides of the Atlantic. This staged process will be owned by you, the business, during the intervention and long after we have left your organisation.
In short this process involves:
- Workshop with the Senior team to thrash out the future strategic direction, and evaluate where the organisation currently stands in relation to same
- Workshop with the entire company as to what about the current way of doing things is currently blocking the achievement of the strategic goals. Agreement of concrete strategic priorities to remove these blockers, and agreement of who will accomplish what, by when
- On-going process of review – every three or six months – whereby each person and area is accountable to report on their progress on their agreed programmes of work. At this stage the next steps are agreed as to what each person will do next to progress their area further, and thus the process rolls on.
- Team Building
Most organisations make use of team structures at some point in their business, and while it is often assumed that employees should work well together, this is not always the reality. We understand the psychological principles at play in such contexts and can work with you in optimising your team’s performance.
Solutions typically begin with:
- Working within the team to help manage conflict and overcome trust and resentment issues.
- Working with you and the team to identify if there is a missing component on the team, and seeking to address that through effective recruitment ( # see recruitment link), so that you can effectively build a fully functioning team with clear roles and responsibilities
- Team Coaching to facilitate better ways of working, promoting harmony and wellbeing on the team. Coaching
We are up front and overt in our approach and we involve the input of all team members, maximising their engagement and buy-in.